Day 155: Above 40 hryvnias per dollar
The Ukrainian currency continues to devalue. During the last week, the hryvnia crossed and fixed on a new psychological mark — above 40 hryvnias for one dollar. It cost so cheap only after the events of 2014–2015, but then the price was quickly stabilized. Now the situation looks worse.
The problem is that Ukraine temporarily lost its main export channel — the sea and Ukrainian ports. As a result, exports fell several times, the inflow of foreign currency into the country also decreased. At the same time, the country has huge foreign currency expenses, which go to the purchase of the same weapons, support of Ukrainian refugees and dozens of other directions. Incomes also fell dramatically, so the country has a monthly deficit of $5 billion, which is quite difficult to cover.
The drop to UAH 40 per dollar is actually a 50% drop in the value of the hryvnia from the pre-war level, when the dollar cost about UAH 27. There are no prerequisites for strengthening the currency now, and the possibility of selling grain will only keep the hryvnia from falling further.
The Ukrainian government constantly says that, as well as weapons, it also needs financial assistance to support the existence of a stable economic situation and the continued functioning of the country. Own gold and currency reserves, which still amount to more than $20 billion, will not be enough for a long time. At the same time, European countries and the USA declare their readiness to help, but decision-making cannot be called quick. According to forecasts, Ukraine will receive about $30 billion of the required $50 by the end of 2022. No one is even talking about the situation in 2023.
Meanwhile, the Russian currency is in the best state since 2014 due to huge inflows of currency. However, it is also not very good for the budget: a strong ruble is rather harmful.
Latest investigations of the Molfar team:
- Crypto background check and $20m investment: How Molfar helps big companies find professionals?
- The russians bombed Belgorod with rockets of their own production
- Terrorist attack in Vinnytsia: dance school as a strategic object
- ZelenskiyNFT: is it a scam project created by the russians? We have the evidence.
- Fact-checking of a missile strike on the city of Kremenchuk: why was it a planned terrorist attack?
- VICE: Meet the US ‘Journalist’ Helping Spread the Kremlin’s Propaganda
Airstrike, missile and MRL damage
- At 04:25 a.m., 2 S-300 missiles hit the Industrialnyi district. A plant was damaged, a fire broke out on the territory of 100 m2, 10 vehicles were on fire. 6 people were injured. Nova Bavaria district was also hit — windows were broken in a residential building.
- A three-story college building in Kochenok was destroyed by Russian shelling.
- After 1 p.m. — 4 shots from cannon artillery on the territory of the Esman community. ~6 p.m. — 10 mortar strikes on the territory of Seredyna-Buda.
- During the day, 1 case about the destruction of civilian infrastructure as a result of the Russian army shelling was reported. Kamyanske and Yurkivka were shelled.
- As a result of the shelling, an industrial area and a repair enterprise were damaged. The building, private vehicles and trade pavilions of the market were also damaged.
- Russian troops launched a missile attack on one of the forests in the suburbs of Mykolayiv. A fire emerged. In the South-North gardeners’ community on the territory of the city, 3 buildings and dry grass were on fire.
- 3 attacks were recorded — a total of 32 mortar hits on the territory of the community.
- As a result of the Russian shelling, an Atlantic hotel building was, 3 multi-story and 1 single-family residential houses were destroyed. 3 people were killed and 5 were injured.
- As a result of the shelling, the buildings of the infectious diseases and inpatient departments of the city hospital, a kindergarten, 8 five-story houses, and 2 kiosks were damaged. 2 buses and 5 units of specialized mining equipment were damaged on the territory of the motor transport workshop.
- The Kakhovka reservoir coastline was shelled.
This was the free part of the military brief
Read the full text + all archives in the paid version.
In two weeks, the subscription price will be $50/month, subscribe now for $30. We give half of the money for the humanitarian needs of Ukrainians.
In a paid version:
- Civilian casualties
- Occupant’s casualties (est. from Ukrainian General Staff)
- War crimes in a de-ocupied territories
- Alternative loss estimates
- Data archive.
- Analytical charts: occupant losses, chart with known air raid alerts by region, known child deaths, diagram of known damage for Ukrainian infrastructure.